How to Make Hazelnut Extract
A Delicious and Versatile Ingredient for Your Kitchen
Hazelnuts, also known as filberts, are a delicious and nutritious ingredient that can be used in a variety of sweet and savory dishes. Hazelnut extract is an easy and convenient way to add the rich, nutty flavor of hazelnuts to your cooking and baking. Here's a simple recipe for making your own hazelnut extract at home.
- 1 cup King Fresh Roasted Hazelnuts (Unsalted or Lightly Salted)
- 1 cup high-proof alcohol (such as vodka)
- 2 vanilla beans
- Place hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground.
- Transfer the ground hazelnuts to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add the alcohol and give it a good shake.
- Let the mixture sit in a cool, dark place for 2-4 weeks, shaking it every few days to redistribute the hazelnuts.
- After 2-4 weeks, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove the solids. Your homemade hazelnut extract is now ready to use!
- You can also use a high-proof neutral spirit like Everclear instead of vodka
- You can also make a small batch of the extract by using 1/4 cup of hazelnuts and 1/4 cup of alcohol.
- You can also not use vanilla beans for a different flavor.
- You can store your homemade hazelnut extract in a cool, dark place for up to a year.
Your homemade hazelnut extract can be used in a variety of ways. Use it to add a rich, nutty flavor to almost anything you bake or even to make a delicious hazelnut coffee creamer!